Thursday, March 31, 2011

House vs. Home

I realized that I have bitched and moaned about the shambles of a house we returned to in February, but in all fairness, the place really was a disaster.  When we left the house back in early 2009 the front area looked like this:


Upon our return it looked like this: 

I'm scared looking at the picture.  Imagine the poor children trick or treating this year.....hell who am I kidding I'm sure our house was passed as parents told their children "No one is home there, lets keep going"

However, with lots of disgust and 1 handsaw it now looks like this:


The landscapers don't start until the beginning of May - bummer.  However, they will be completely re-doing/re-planting this area with Holly bushes, daylillies, fresh mulch and a few other plants and flowers.  BK and I stressed the words LOW MAINTENANCE a lot during our conversations with the landscapers. 
The inside of our house was a real challenge.  So we began by having the whole interior professionally painted.  This gave it a fresh new look and made it feel more like OUR home.  Although, the interior is still a work in progress, the family room area is complete! 

Before the painting and the curtains and the accessories.  All we had was a Jute/Chenille rug from Pottery Barn, coffee and end table from World Market, 1 table lamp from Marshalls, and a few throw pillows from Home Goods (Gosh I love that store), Pottery Barn, and World Market.:





And after painting, but still working on the finished product of accessories....



And the total complete package is.....









View from our Entryway


View from right inside the Family room




View from the Kitchen

View from  bottom other side of family room

View from 2nd floor balcony area

All in all, I have to say I am so pleased with how the family room area came out.

Next agenda item...the dining room.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what do to for a bay window?  We have a ton of natural light that comes in through our dining room so putting up curtains is nothing something I really want to do, but I'm stuck and all that is on the windows right now is white wood blinds. 

More pictures to come of the dining room progress, the nursery, and the loft - aka BK's work area

Sincerely,
The decorating diva

2 comments:

  1. Jenn - your house is gorgeous!! I love the way the frames turned out and where did you get your floor lamps? I am looking for a new one and love these?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hey! Aw, thank you. I got all the inspiration from your gallery wall post, so double thanks! I got the floor lamp from Pier 1 in their clearance section. Orginally $169.00 bought it for $79.00! I love it.

    ReplyDelete