Thursday, August 5, 2010

This and That

A few updates in our lives...

1.  As of July 28th, I finished all of my coursework for my Masters program - woohoo!  And seriously this is a woohoo. 

Ever since graduating college (4 years ago) I have had 5 jobs - if you do the math you might think I was a bit of a loose cannon when it came to nailing down my career niche.  You see in college, I was convinced a bachelors of science in Communication Studies would take me BIG places (BIG places also means: an amazing loft and office in NYC, an awesomely cute J.Crew business casual wardrobe, complete with an assistant who would buy me a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks every morning).  I think I may have been a bit off, no?

So for the last 4 years I have been figuring out what type of job I DON'T want.  I have done this by having many different jobs (hence the 5 jobs mentioned above).  Here is what I've found
Job #1 - Sales coordinator at hotel.  I was so bored at this job I purposely followed around the maids and maintenance staff in order to spice up my day.  Note to self for future job- I need something challenging.  I stayed at this job for 3 months, 3 months too long.

Job #2 - Customer Service Associate for pharmaceutical company.  Let me sum this job up for you.  I sat in a cubicle, where my manager had nothing better to do than to make sure I wasn't putting myself into a phone code (like bathroom) for more than the allotted 4 minutes graciously given to us by the company (god forbid someone eats something spicy for lunch).  Most days I would be passive-aggressive to my manager, customers calling our company, and peers who thought this place was the best thing since sliced bread.  On the days I wasn't being passive-aggressive, I would contemplate cutting the power lines so we couldn't work.  Note to self for future job - DO NOT WORK as a customer service associate  where your office is a cubicle, you phone is tapped, and you only get 4 minutes for the bathroom... this could end up with me getting arrested.  PS - I miraculously worked here for 1 year and 7 months and no I didn't get fired, I quit. 

Job #3 - I actually really liked this one.  I worked with the marketing of clinical trials.  Unfortunately, I had to leave due to the hubby's job relocation.

Job #4 - I don't even remember the title of my role, all there is to know about this job is that it was much like job #2 except I was given a company blackberry and I had to make cold calls.  I lasted at this place for 1.5 months and never made a sale.  Note to self for future job - alone in cubicle and cold calling are not my forte

Job #5 - social worker for oncology patients.  This job was good...I was able to be around people, help those in need, and work in a hospital.  OK so those are the things that were good, however, I was helping people take advantage of our health care system, social security disability system, welfare and subsidized housing system, etc.  It was causing me much intrapersonal turmoil and I just couldn't look at myself each day knowing that this is  the kind of "help" I was apart of.  Additionally, being around cancer all day made me think I was getting cancer.  Every little thing I was completely convinced was a sign of cancer.  All in all, not the job for me.  I stayed here for 6 months.

So through my various jobs I learned a lot about what I want as a career orientated woman, I learned a lot about what I want as hopeful future mother and wife.  I am so blessed and fortunate for all my career opportunities but am excited to begin my career as an elementary school teacher, so ...WOOHOO!

2.  This past weekend our wonderful friends Sarah and Mark came to stay at our house.  It is always so nice to spend time with friends who aren't close. 

3.  Additionally, this past weekend was our friends Sherrie and Kevin bachelorette and bachelor parties.  We are really excited for their upcoming wedding in August!

Hope everyone is having a great week - we are still trying to catch up on our sleep from this weekend

No comments:

Post a Comment